The Tietz Center is very proud of its resident chaplain - Rabbi Zavel Pearlman. Highly regarded at the Center, Rabbi Pearlman provides a warm and caring spiritual atmosphere for our residents. His warm and personal relationships with our residents helps to provide an environment which fulfills the Margaret Tietz mission - Health Care with a heart for the Jewish community.
Rabbi Pearlman's weekly classes in Jewish History have become a highlight of the week for many of our residents. The Rabbi additionally provides oversight for our continued efforts to increase the capabilities and amenities in place to properly serve the needs of the Orthodox community.
Programs for Residents & their families at MTC
• Twice Daily 8:10am & 2:50pm: "Daily Minyan"
• Every Monday 2:30pm & Wednesday 10:30am: "Meet with the Rabbi" special class by Rabbi Pearlman
• Every Friday 10:30am: "Oneg Shabbat Service" with Rabbi Pearlman
• Every Friday 1:00pm: "Shabbath Visit" by Shevah High School students
• 9:15am: “Shabbos Minyan”
• First Thursday 10:30am: "Jewish Reminiscence Group" with Ms. Zelda Braun, Associate Dean of Students at Yeshiva University
• Last Monday 2:30pm: "Israeli Film Festival" at MTC
• "Celebration & Customs of Jewish Holidays" by Rebbetzin Oppenheimer of Young Israel of Forest Hills
Services available for residents & their families
- On-site Rabbi: Rabbi Pearlman, Coordinator of Jewish Religious Affairs
- Shabbos Elevator
- Shabbos Entrance
- Shabbos Apartment
- Every Saturday 12:00pm: "Shabbos Lunch"
- Shabbos Rabbi supervising kitchen from Friday to Shabbos
- Newly expanded Eruv connecting 6 communities: Jamaica Hills, Jamaica Estates, Hillcrest, Kew Garden Hills, Briarwood, Holliswood, and the MTC
As a not-for-profit healthcare facility, we are fortunate to be the recipients of special grant funding which provide unique programs for our residents including:
- Therapeutic Clowning Therapy for individuals living with dementia which takes place twice a month for 2 hours each session
- Massage Therapy once a week from 10AM – 12PM for hospice patients and 1PM – 4PM for the rest of the residents
- Yoga every other week for 2 half hour sessions
- Music Therapy 17 hours a week
- Art Therapy 14 hours a week
- Computer Classes through a grant from the City Council provides residents with computer instruction twice a week for 2 hour sessions. This grant will be ending in June and we are hopeful that this funding will be extended for next year.